Dr. Igor BELLO
Office: Room F101A, Building 910, Institute of Functional Nano and Soft Materials (FUNSOM)
Soochow University, 199 Ren'ai Road , Suzhou Industrial Park, Suzhou, Jiangsu, China 215123
Email: email@example.com; Phone: 86-512-65880675; Fax: 86-512-65882846
PhD1981Microelectronics, Electrical Engineering, the Slovak Technical University, Bratislava, Czechoslovakia. MSEE1970Semiconductor Physics and Technology, Electrical Engineering, The Slovak Technical University, Bratislava, Czechoslovakia.
II. AWARDS/DISTINGUSH POSITIONS
1983-1984The Lewerhulme Trust Fellowship, British Research Council; University of Salford, England.
1985-1988Vice-chairman of the National Czechoslovak Expert Assembly for Vacuum Technology and Applications.
III. PREVIOUS POSITIONS
2005 – 2012Professor, Physics and Materials Science, City University of Hong Kong. Adjunct Professor,Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada.
Prior to 2005 Different academic positions (Associate Professor, Adjunct Professor) at the Slovak University of Technology (Microelectronics), Czechoslovakia/Slovakia; City University of Hong Kong; Surface Science Western, and Materials Engineering, the University of Western Ontario, Canada; in parallel industrial consultant.
Pioneering Cubic boron nitride (cBN), diamond and related materials.
ResearchMaterials with extreme properties, wide gap materials, nanomaterials, organic photovoltaicdevices based on nanomaterials, sensors based on nanomaterials, light emitting devices.
Tools Expertise in advanced materials characterization, thin films deposition, vacuum technology.
Design: Designed and constructed more than 20 technological and analytical constructioninstruments, some state of art.
Courses: Taught 17 different courses; mostly in thin films, materials characterization, vacuum technology, physics, plasma physics, electronics and molecular physics.
Students: 60 PhD and MPhil, 19 postdoctoral fellows
Publications: h-factor: 46; non-self cited references 7111.
Total published articles: ~380 (SCI-listed journals: 259, National journals: 8, Patents: 12, (10 US), conference articles: 83 (including plenary and invited talks on the largest world diamond conferences USA, Europe, Japan, Taiwan), text-books: 4; Defended industrial research reports: 17.Journal cover pages in Advanced Materials, MRS Bulletin, Applied Physics Letters, Phys. Stat. Solidi a.
IV. SOME PUBLICATIONS
1. I. Bello, Y.M. Chong, Q. Ye, Y. Yang, B. He, O. Kutsay, H.E. Wang, C. Yan, S.K. Jha, J.A. Zapien,W. J. Zhang,Materials with extreme properties: Their structuring and applications, Vacuum 86 (2012) 575.
2. I. Bello, W. J. Zhang, S. T. Lee, Cubic boron nitride/diamond composite layers, US patent US 7,645,513 B2, Jan 12, 2010.
3. Y.B. Tang, L.C. Yin, Y. Yang, X. H. Bo, Y.L. Cao, H. E. Wang, W. J. Zhang, I. Bello, S.T. Lee, H. M. Cheng, C. S. Lee, Tunable Band Gaps and p-Type Transport Properties of Boron-Doped Graphenes by Controllable Ion Doping Using Reactive Microwave Plasma, ACS Nano6 (2012) 1970.
4. J. S. Jie, W.J. Zhang, I. Bello, C.S. Lee, S. T. Lee,One-dimensional II-VI nanostructures: Synthesis, properties and optoelectronic applications, Nano Today 5 (2010) 313.
5 .W.J. Zhang, C.Y. Chan, X. Meng, M.K. Fung, I. Bello, Y. Lifshitz, S. T. Lee, X. Jiang, “Mechanism of chemical vapor deposition of cubic boron nitride films from fluorine–containing species”, Angew. Chem. Int 44(2005) 4749.
6. I. Bello,C.Y. Chan, W.J. Zhang, Y.M. Chong, K.M. Leung, S.T. Lee, Y. Lifshitz, Deposition of thick cubic boron nitride films: Route to practical applications, Diamond Relat. Mater. 143-7 (2005) 1154.
7. I. Bello, Y. M. Chong, K.M. Leung, C.Y. Chan, K.L. Ma, W.J. Zhang, S.T. Lee, A. Layyous, “Cubic boron nitride films for industrial applications” Diamond Relat. Mater. 14 (2005) 1784.
8. W.J. Zhang, I. Bello, Y. Lifshitz, K.M. Chan, X. M. Meng, Y. Wu, C.Y. Chan, S.T. Lee, “Epitaxy on diamond by chemical vapor deposition: A route to high quality cubic boron nitride for electronic applications”, Advanced Materials 16(2004) 1405.
9. W.J. Zhang, I. Bello, Y. Lifshitz, and S.T. Lee, “Recent Advances in Cubic Boron Nitride Deposition”, MRS Bulletin28 (2003) 184.
10. N.G. Shang, F.Y. Meng, F.C. K. Au, Q.Li, C.S. Lee, I. Bello, S.T. Lee, “Fabrication and field emission of high density silicon cone arrays”, Advanced Material 14(2002) 1308.
11. Y. Lifshitz, X. F. Duan, N. G. Shang, Q. Li, L. Wan, I. Bello, S. T. Lee, “Epitaxial diamond polytypes on silicon”,Nature 42, (2001) 404.
12. S. T. Lee, H. Y. Peng, X.T. Zhou, N. Wang, C.S. Lee, I. Bello, Y. Liftshitz, A nucleation site and mechanism leading to epitaxial growth of diamond films, Science287 (2000) 104.
13. I. Bello, M. K. Fung, W. Zhang, C. Sun, K. H. Lai, H. K. Woo, C. S. Lee, and S. T. Lee, “Effects at reactive ion etching of CVD diamond”, Thin Solid Films368 (2000) 222.
14. I. Bello, W. M. Chang, and W. M. Lau, Importance of the molecular identity of ion species in reactive ion etching at low energies, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 12 (1994) 1425.
15. I. Bello, W. M. Chang, and W. M. Lau, Mechanism of cleaning and etching of Si surfaces with low energy ion bombardment, J.Appl. Phys. 75 (1994) 3092.
16. Bello, W. M. Lau, R. P. W. Lawson, K. K. Foo, Deposition of InN by low energy modulated In and nitrogen ion beams, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 10 (1992) 1642.