Ph.D., City University of Hong Kong, Center of Super-Diamond and Advanced Films & Dept. of Biology and Chemistry, 2002
Nanoelectronics, Nano Sensors, Energy Harvesting, Synchrotron Radiation Techniques
Research Experience and Accomplishments:
Mainly focused in the area of one-dimensional semiconductor nanomaterials and carbon nanostructures and their applications in nanoelectronics, sensors, energy harvesting and also worked on the development and application of synchrotron radiation techniques in nanoscale materials. Over 50 publications (including one book chapter) in top chemistry, physics, materials and engineering journals and holds one patent. Served the reviewer of top peer-reviewed journals (e.g. JACS, JPC, Chem. Mater., Small, IEEE TED, IEEE EDL, IEEE TNT, JAP, Nanotechnology, etc.) and research proposals (e.g. DOE (US), RGC (
1. The effect of catalysts and underlayer metals on the properties of PECVD-grown carbon nanostructures
Xuhui Sun*, Ke Li, Raymond Wu, Patrick Wilhite, Tsutomu Saito, Jing Gao and Cary Y Yang, Nanotechnology, 21 (2010) 045201.
2. Observation of Hybrid Carbon Nanostructures as Intermediates in the Transformation from Hydrocarbon Nanotubes and Nano-onions to Carbon Nanotubes and Nano-onions via Sonolysis on Silicon Nanowires and Nanodots, Respectively
Boon K. Teo*, X. H. Sun*, C. P. Lee, N. B. Wong, S. T. Lee, Chemistry of Materials, 22 (2010) 1297–1308.
3. Germanium Antimonide Phase-Change Nanowires for Memory Applications
X. H. Sun*, B. Yu, G. Ng, S. Ju, and D. B. Janes, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 55 (2008) 3131.
4. Chalcogenide Nanowire based Phase Change Memory
B. Yu*, X. H. Sun*, S. Ju, D. B. Janesand M. Meyyappan, IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, 7 (2008) 496-502.
5. Synthesis and Nanoscale Thermal Encoding of Phase-Change Nanowires
X. H. Sun*, B. Yu*, M. Meyyappan, Applied Physics Letters, 90 (2007) 183116.
6. One Dimensional Silicon–Cadmium Selenide Heterostructures
X.H. Sun*, T. K. Sham,* R.A. Rosenberg and G.K. Shenoy, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 111(2007) 8475-8482.
7. Silicon-Based Low-Dimensional Nanomaterials and Nanodevices
Boon K. Teo, X. H. Sun, Chemical Reviews (invited), 107 (2007) 1454-1532.
8. Synthesis of germanium nanowires-on-insulator (GeNOI) catalyzed by indium or antimony
X. H. Sun*, G. Calebotta, B. Yu, G. Selvaduray, and M. Meyyappan, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, 25 (2007) 415-420.
9. One-Dimensional Phase-Change Nanostructure: Germanium Telluride Nanowire
X. H. Sun*, B. Yu*, G. Ng, and M. Meyyappan, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 111 (2007) 2421-2425.
10. III-VI Compound Semiconductor Indium Selenide (In2Se3) Nanowires: Synthesis and Characterization
X. H. Sun, B. Yu, G. Ng, T. D. Ng, and M. Meyyappan, Applied Physics Letters, 89 (2006) 233121.
11. Germanium Nanowires: Synthesis, Morphology and Local Structures Studies
X. H. Sun, C. Didychuk, T. K. Sham, N.B. Wong, Nanotechnology, 17 (2006) 2925 -2930.
12. Synthesis and Synchrotron light induced luminescence of ZnO nanostructures: nanowires, nano-needles, nanoflowers and tubular whiskers
X.H. Sun, S. Lam, T.K. Sham, F. Heigl, A. Jürgensen, N.B. Wong, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 109 (2005), 3120-3125.
13. Chain-like silicon nanowires: Morphology, electronic structure and luminescence studies
X.H. Sun, N.B. Wong, C.P. Li, S.T. Lee, T.K. Sham, Journal of Applied Physics, 96 (2004) 3447-3451.
14. Reductive self-assembling of Pd and Rh nanoparticles on silicon nanowire templates
X.H. Sun, N.B. Wong, C.P. Li, S.T. Lee, P.S.G. Kim, T.K. Sham, Chemistry of Materials, 16 (2004) 1143.
15. Zero-dimensional nanodots on one-dimensional nanowires: Reductive deposition of metal nanoparticles on silicon nanowires
X.H. Sun, B.K. Teo, Journal of Cluster Science(invited review), 15 (2004) 199.
16. FTIR Spectroscopic Studies of the Stabilities and Reactivities of Hydrogen-Terminated Surfaces of Silicon Nanowires
X.H. Sun, S.D. Wang, N.B. Wong, D.D.D Ma, S.T. Lee, B.K. Teo, Inorganic Chemistry, 42 (2003) 2398.
17. Precision-cut crystalline silicon nanodots and nanorods from nanowires and direct visualization of cross sections and growth orientations of silicon nanowires
Boon K. Teo, X.H. Sun, T.F.Hung, X.M. Meng, N.B. Wong, S.T. Lee, Nano Letters, 3 (2003) 1735.
18. Photoelectron spectroscopy study on indium tin oxide treatment by iodine, bromine and their interface with organic films
X.H. Sun, L.F. Cheng, L.S. Liao, N.B. Wong, C.S. Lee, S.T. Lee, Chemical Physics Letters, 370 (2003) 425.
19. Templating Effect of Hydrogen-Passivated Silicon Nanowires in the Production of Hydrocarbon Nanotubes and Nanoonions via Sonochemical Reactions with Common Organic Solvents under Ambient Conditions
X.H. Sun, C.P. Li, N.B. Wong, C.S. Lee, S.T. Lee, B.K. Teo, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 124 (2002) 14856.
20. Formation of Silicon Carbide Nanotubes and Nanowires via Disproportionation Reaction of Silicon Monoxide with Carbon Nanotubes
X.H. Sun, C.P. Li, W. K. Wong, N.B. Wong, C.S. Lee, S.T. Lee, B.K. Teo, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 124 (2002) 14464.
21. Reductive Growth of Nanosized Ligated Metal Clusters on Silicon Nanowires
X.H. Sun, C.P. Li, N.B. Wong, C.S. Lee, S.T. Lee, B.K. Teo, Inorganic Chemistry, 41 (2002) 4331.
22. Ag nanostructures on a silicon nanowire template: an X-ray absorption fine structure study at the Si K-edge and Ag L3,2-edge
X.H. Sun, R. Sammynaiken, S.J. Naftel, Y.H. Tang, P. Zhang, P.S. Kim, T.K. Sham, X.H. Fan, Y.F. Zhang, N.B. Wong, C.S. Lee, S.T. Lee, Chemistry of Materials, 14 (2002) 2519.
23. An X-ray absorption fine structure and electron energy loss spectroscopy study of silicon nanowires at Si L3,2-edge
X.H. Sun, Y.H. Tang, P. Zhang, S. Naftel, R. Sammynaiken, T.K. Sham, Y.F. Zhang, H.Y. Peng, N.B. Wong, and S.T. Lee, Journal of Applied Physics, 90 (2001) 6379.
24. Surface reactivity of Si nanowires
X.H. Sun, H.Y. Peng, Y.H. Tang, W.S. Shi, N.B. Wong, C.S. Lee, S.T. Lee and T.K. Sham, Journal of Applied Physics, 89 (2001) 6396.
One dimensional phase-change nanomaterials for information storage application
X. H. Sun, B. Yu, N. G. Garrick, and M. Meyyanppan, in “One-Dimensional Nanostructures”, Springer (2008)
Room temperature solutions synthesis of multiwalled Carbon nanotubes and carbon nanoonions
S. T. Lee, C. P. Li, X. H. Sun, N. B. Wong, C. S. Lee, Boon K. Teo, US patent, No. 7,132,126
Growth method for chalcongenide phase-change nanostructures
B. Yu, X. H. Sun, and M. Meyyappan, US patent, No. 7,655,497.
Tel: 0512-65880943 (O) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org